From: John Navas on
On 26 May 2010 19:02:02 GMT, "Thomas T. Veldhouse" <veldy71(a)gmail.com>
wrote in <8659haFubgU7(a)mid.individual.net>:

>In alt.cellular.verizon Paul Miner <pminer(a)elrancho.invalid> wrote:
>>>
>>>No, that is not what vaporware is.
>>>
>>> http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/vaporware
>>>
>>>Computer Slang. a product, esp. software, that is promoted or marketed while
>>>it is still in development and that may never be produced.
>>>
>>>There is no "may" about it; OS4.0 will be produced and released. Vaporware,
>>>as an example, is TiVo for Comcast [nationwide] and TiVo for DirecTV
>>>[nationwide]. Both have been announced for a long time and the scheduled
>>>release date slips ... in the case of Comcast by many many years now.
>>
>> I guess the part about being "promoted or marketed while it is still
>> in development" escaped you. Did you read what you copied/pasted?
>
>And what escaped you is the "and". Not to mention it is *slang* which means
>it has no precisely defined meaning. For those that have been around long
>enough to remember when the term vaporware was first used commonly, you know
>very well that Apple's OS 4.0 is not vaporware. But, I cite from
>Dictionary.com again, since semantics are the theme of the day:
>
>"Computer Slang. a product, esp. software, that is promoted or marketed while
>it is still in development *and* that may never be produced."

And what escaped you is the "may".
All you're accomplishing is to make yourself look ever more silly.
--
Best regards,
John

"Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level
and then beat you with experience." -Dr. Alan Zimmerman
From: nospam on
In article <h0sqv5dha71m44kckja59lqctdijs2h0m7(a)4ax.com>, John Navas
<jnspam1(a)navasgroup.com> wrote:

> >No, OS 4.0 is NOT vaporware.
>
> Until it ships to end users it most certainly *is* vaporware.

then android 2.2 is vaporware. it has not shipped to end users other
than a few nexus one users, a phone that sold in very small quantities
compared to the other android phones, particularly the droid.

there are probably more iphones running 4.0 betas than android 2.2
right now.

can't have it both ways.
From: Paul Miner on
On Wed, 26 May 2010 10:32:43 -0700, nospam <nospam(a)nospam.invalid>
wrote:

>In article <f0mqv5920dnd7odg242l5bv4nbldc2k21i(a)4ax.com>, Paul Miner
><pminer(a)elrancho.invalid> wrote:
>
>> The key word is 'announced'. It's vapor until it ships.
>
>it *has* shipped. anyone who wants it can sign up as a developer and
>get a beta version. the public release is imminent.
>
>but if you want to call it vapor, android 2.2 is also vapor, and even
>more so.

Agreed. The definition of vapor applies universally. Both are
vaporware until they ship, and "to developers" doesn't count.

--
Paul Miner
From: Thomas T. Veldhouse on
In alt.cellular.verizon John Navas <jnspam1(a)navasgroup.com> wrote:
> On 26 May 2010 18:27:19 GMT, "Thomas T. Veldhouse" <veldy71(a)gmail.com>
> wrote in <8657g7FubgU2(a)mid.individual.net>:
>
>>In alt.cellular.verizon John Navas <jnspam1(a)navasgroup.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> I think it's essentially a control (and revenue) issue -- Steve is
>>> determined to control all things Apple, and Adobe software (not only
>>> Flash, but also products like Photoshop) has always threatened that
>>> control (and revenue) -- Flash is just the biggest threat at the moment.
>>
>>You are a thinker, but you didn't check did you? ;-)
>
> "I would like to take you seriously,
> but to do so would affront your intelligence."
> {William F. Buckley, Jr]

A lot of words when you could have just said "No".

--
Thomas T. Veldhouse

Religion is a crutch, but that's okay... humanity is a cripple.
From: Thomas T. Veldhouse on
In alt.cellular.verizon John Navas <jnspam1(a)navasgroup.com> wrote:

> Until it ships to end users it most certainly *is* vaporware.

Since it exists and is not simply an idea in the vapor, I respectfully
disagree. If you want to claim victory; it really doesn't matter to me as the
issue, as I said is one of semantics. The real issue is comparing the correct
software platforms.