From: John Navas on
On 26 May 2010 14:14:50 GMT, "Thomas T. Veldhouse" <veldy71(a)gmail.com>
wrote in <864omqFsdlU2(a)mid.individual.net>:

>In alt.cellular.verizon nospam <nospam(a)nospam.invalid> wrote:

>> not only has it been announced but it has shipped to developers. apple
>> said the final version will ship in summer 2010 and it's not summer
>> yet. nothing vapor about it.
>>
>> compare that to adobe flash for mobile, which was supposed to be done
>> *last* year and it's still not done.
>
>Steve Jobs doesn't seem to like Adobe much at all and it seems that Flash on
>the iPod is influenced by this.

I think it's essentially a control (and revenue) issue -- Steve is
determined to control all things Apple, and Adobe software (not only
Flash, but also products like Photoshop) has always threatened that
control (and revenue) -- Flash is just the biggest threat at the moment.
--
Best regards,
John

If the iPhone is really so impressive,
why do iFans keep making excuses for it?
From: John Navas on
On 26 May 2010 14:17:04 GMT, "Thomas T. Veldhouse" <veldy71(a)gmail.com>
wrote in <864or0FsdlU3(a)mid.individual.net>:

>In alt.cellular.verizon Paul Miner <pminer(a)elrancho.invalid> wrote:
>> On 25 May 2010 21:36:29 GMT, "Thomas T. Veldhouse" <veldy71(a)gmail.com>
>> wrote:

>>>It's not vaporware; it has been anounced by Apple. Vaporware defines the
>>>rumor of software, but OS 4.0 is no rumor.
>>
>> Not true. Announcements certainly qualify as vaporware, although I
>> understand in this case something has actually shipped (to
>> developers).
>
>Actual release announcements are not vaporware; they require demonstration
>[kind of like Windows beta and release candidates come before the
>announcement]. There is working software out there which makes it real
>software, not vaporware. My statement that OS 4.0 is no rumor is a shorter
>way of saying the obvious which I apparently just had to explain.

It's vaporware until it's actually released (to everyone) --
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vaporware>:

Vaporware is a word used to describe products, usually computer
hardware or software, not released on the date announced by their
developer...

The good reason for this is that actual products all too often fail to
ship on dates promised, fail to contain all features promised, etc.

From: John Navas on
On 26 May 2010 14:20:27 GMT, "Thomas T. Veldhouse" <veldy71(a)gmail.com>
wrote in <864p1bFsdlU5(a)mid.individual.net>:

>In alt.cellular.verizon John Navas <jnspam1(a)navasgroup.com> wrote:
>>
>> Irrelevant: prototype, not released, and nothing to do with the OS.
>>
>> "Stay on target, Luke, stay on target!"
>
>Funny, considering you are one to often divert attention from the target.

You are of course entitled to your opinion, no matter how unjustified.
--
Best regards,
John

"Nothing is as peevish and pedantic as men's judgments of one another."
-Desiderius Erasmus
From: John Navas on
On 26 May 2010 14:25:06 GMT, "Thomas T. Veldhouse" <veldy71(a)gmail.com>
wrote in <864pa2FsdlU6(a)mid.individual.net>:

>In alt.cellular.verizon Justin <nospam(a)insightbb.com> wrote:
>> Thomas T. Veldhouse wrote on [25 May 2010 21:36:29 GMT]:

>>> It's not vaporware; it has been anounced by Apple. Vaporware defines the
>>> rumor of software, but OS 4.0 is no rumor.
>>
>> Um, until it makes it to the consumer it is not released. Vaporware is
>> software or hardare that is announced but never released. Plenty
>> of vaporware has "shipped" to developers and review units.
>
>No, that is not what vaporware is.
>
> http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/vaporware
>
>Computer Slang. a product, esp. software, that is promoted or marketed while
>it is still in development and that may never be produced.
>
>There is no "may" about it; OS4.0 will be produced and released. Vaporware,
>as an example, is TiVo for Comcast [nationwide] and TiVo for DirecTV
>[nationwide]. Both have been announced for a long time and the scheduled
>release date slips ... in the case of Comcast by many many years now.

It's vaporware until it's actually released (to everyone) --
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vaporware>:

Vaporware is a word used to describe products, usually computer
hardware or software, not released on the date announced by their
developer...

The good reason for this is that actual products all too often fail to
ship on dates promised, fail to contain all features promised, etc.
--
Best regards,
John

"Usenet is like a herd of performing elephants with diarrhea - massive,
difficult to redirect, awe inspiring, entertaining, and a source of mind
boggling amounts of excrement when you least expect it." --Gene Spafford
From: nospam on
In article <864ovbFsdlU4(a)mid.individual.net>, Thomas T. Veldhouse
<veldy71(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> > more importantly, not all devices will run android 2.2, including the
> > t-mobile g1 which is currently being sold, *new*, right *now*.
>
> Not all iPods that run 3.1.x will run 4.0 either. Only iPod Touch Gen 3 and
> iPhone GS models (not sure about any previous iPhone model) will accept OS
> 4.0.

all 2nd and 3rd gen ipod touches and the iphone 3g and 3gs can run 4.0,
plus whatever is released this year.

only the 1st gen ipod touch and original iphone cannot. they're 3 year
old devices and very, very few are still in use.

compare that with android devices that are shipping *now* that can't
ever run 2.2, and some that won't run it for a while, whenever the
manufacturer decides it will update it.