From: nospam on
In article <i8lqv599av527mfj61o7clmft1fni8bm9n(a)4ax.com>, Paul Miner
<pminer(a)elrancho.invalid> wrote:

> >only the 1st gen ipod touch and original iphone cannot. they're 3 year
> >old devices and very, very few are still in use.
>
> What could possibly justify very, very few 3 year old i* devices being
> still in use? If true, that's not good for anyone, including Apple.

why isn't it good?
From: Paul Miner on
On Wed, 26 May 2010 09:41:41 -0700, nospam <nospam(a)nospam.invalid>
wrote:

>In article <2rgqv5h571j3dmseaabrise0me2mhupdai(a)4ax.com>, John Navas
><jnspam1(a)navasgroup.com> wrote:
>
>> Flash is just the biggest threat at the moment.
>
>it's not a threat. flash is proprietary, buggy, a cpu hog and a
>security risk. there are much better ways to do what flash does, such
>as html5.

Flash is ubiquitous, HTML5 not so much. It has a lot more to do with
what's deployed versus what's better for the job.

--
Paul Miner
From: Paul Miner on
On Wed, 26 May 2010 09:41:44 -0700, nospam <nospam(a)nospam.invalid>
wrote:

>In article <s4hqv5pdnj1gs1ocdar10fdg63oohgmlf1(a)4ax.com>, John Navas
><jnspam1(a)navasgroup.com> wrote:
>
>> It's vaporware until it's actually released (to everyone) --
>> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vaporware>:
>>
>> Vaporware is a word used to describe products, usually computer
>> hardware or software, not released on the date announced by their
>> developer...
>
>not that wikipedia is a good reference, but according to that
>definition, it's not vapor since the ship date announced is 'summer
>2010.'

The key word is 'announced'. It's vapor until it ships.

--
Paul Miner
From: nospam on
In article <7slqv5l92odh1442eqk7tj3agrcii93tfe(a)4ax.com>, Paul Miner
<pminer(a)elrancho.invalid> wrote:

> >> Flash is just the biggest threat at the moment.
> >
> >it's not a threat. flash is proprietary, buggy, a cpu hog and a
> >security risk. there are much better ways to do what flash does, such
> >as html5.
>
> Flash is ubiquitous, HTML5 not so much. It has a lot more to do with
> what's deployed versus what's better for the job.

flash is not as widespread as people think and a lot of people use
plugins that block it. not supporting it has more to do with the user
experience and long term goals. by allowing flash, html5 adoption will
stagnate.

people say they want flash, but what they really mean is to watch
videos and play games. they don't care *how* it happens, only that it
can be done. as for flash ads, i doubt very many users miss those.

the iphone can do both of those without flash. youtube streams h.264
and has for 3 years. other sites also do that. there are thousands of
native app games, which work much better than flash ever could,
especially with not needing the bandwidth to download them each time.
plus, a lot of flash is designed for mouse and keyboard and won't work
very well on a touch device anyway. battery life is shot to hell too.

basically, flash is on its way out and adobe knows it, that's why
they're making a big deal out of it. adobe is losing its proprietary
grip. and the don't like it.
From: nospam on
In article <f0mqv5920dnd7odg242l5bv4nbldc2k21i(a)4ax.com>, Paul Miner
<pminer(a)elrancho.invalid> wrote:

> The key word is 'announced'. It's vapor until it ships.

it *has* shipped. anyone who wants it can sign up as a developer and
get a beta version. the public release is imminent.

but if you want to call it vapor, android 2.2 is also vapor, and even
more so.