From: nospam on
In article <htmd1n$sgc$3(a)news.eternal-september.org>, Justin
<nospam(a)insightbb.com> wrote:

> >> Yet, it's available. What a hard concept to understand
> >
> > to nexus one owners.
>
> See, it's released and therefore not vapour.

iphone os 4 is released too. sign up as a developer and download it.
therefore it is not vapor either.

> > it has not been released to consumers who bought phones *other* than
> > the nexus one and it may never be, depending on the phone and the
>
> And that doesn't matter, catch up already

yes, it definitely matters. nearly all android owners can't upgrade and
may never be able to upgrade.
From: nospam on
In article <6udtv5d26q3r9dlln7ceto8jvk5h8pm6rc(a)4ax.com>, John Navas
<jnspam1(a)navasgroup.com> wrote:

> >> I call this a disingenuous scramble.
> >
> >You would. What will you call it in June ...
>
> That will be then. This is now.

so for about a 10 day window, you can compare android 2.2 that only
exists on one android phone to iphone 3.1.3 that exists for all
iphones. however, it's very disingenuous to do so since android 2.2 is
vapor for everyone other than nexus one owners, i.e., nearly all
android users.
From: Justin on
nospam wrote on [Thu, 27 May 2010 11:35:37 -0700]:

>> > to nexus one owners.
>>
>> See, it's released and therefore not vapour.
>
> iphone os 4 is released too. sign up as a developer and download it.
> therefore it is not vapor either.

developers are not end users. I know it's hard. your little bwain must be
tiwed

>> > it has not been released to consumers who bought phones *other* than
>> > the nexus one and it may never be, depending on the phone and the
>>
>> And that doesn't matter, catch up already
>
> yes, it definitely matters. nearly all android owners can't upgrade and
> may never be able to upgrade.

Irrelevant when it comes to whether something is vapour or not.
From: Paul Miner on
On Thu, 27 May 2010 10:03:54 -0700, nospam <nospam(a)nospam.invalid>
wrote:

>In article <ai8tv5lluofgcvi4r9jjfiql1r7n6rlh52(a)4ax.com>, Paul Miner
><pminer(a)elrancho.invalid> wrote:
>
>> Assuming you're right that 2.2 is available for the Nexus One, then
>> it's obviously not vaporware.
>
>it's not vaporware only to a tiny subset of android users.

Thanks for (finally) conceding the point!

>> The yes/no dividing line between vapor or not is availability to end
>> users, whoever they may be. Limited availability versus widespread
>> availability, small numbers versus large numbers, announcements versus
>> no announcements, rumors versus no rumors, all of those have nothing
>> to do with it.
>
>define it any way you want, the fact remains that android 2.2 is only
>available for one model phone that didn't sell very well and by manual
>installation.

It wasn't me who defined anything. I'm using the definition that's
been around for decades. The only thing I was objecting to was a
distortion of that definition.

>as far as most people are concerned, 2.2 is not available yet, not even
>to google i/o attendees with their htc evo!
>
>in any event this entire conversation is moot in a couple of weeks when
>iphone os 4 ships to everyone, none of this 'soon' on the droid or 'end
>of the year' with htc products.

A discussion about the definition of vaporware cannot be made moot by
the release of anything. Examples of vaporware will continue to exist
long after OS 4 ships.

--
Paul Miner
From: nospam on
In article <20gtv59248g8qpm9digoi2od2i149u6vol(a)4ax.com>, Paul Miner
<pminer(a)elrancho.invalid> wrote:

> >> Assuming you're right that 2.2 is available for the Nexus One, then
> >> it's obviously not vaporware.
> >
> >it's not vaporware only to a tiny subset of android users.
>
> Thanks for (finally) conceding the point!

it's still vapor for the vast majority of android users. some don't
even know if they'll get it or not since the manufacturer has not yet
decided.