From: Paul Miner on
On Thu, 27 May 2010 08:56:45 -0700, nospam <nospam(a)nospam.invalid>
wrote:

>In article <htm118$i1d$2(a)news.eternal-september.org>, Justin
><nospam(a)insightbb.com> wrote:
>
>> > right. android 2.2 is going to be vapor for a lot longer and for a lot
>> > more users than iphone os 4.
>>
>> 2.2 has been released to end users, it's not vaporware. I know it's hard
>> to understand simple concepts like that, but it's a fact.
>
>except, it isn't a fact.

Apparently it *is* a fact, as you go on to say in the very next
paragraph.

>the simple concept, is that so far, it's only available for the nexus
>one, a phone that sold in very small numbers, and that's via manual
>update. it's not available yet for the motorola droid, htc evo (the
>phone google gave out), droid incredible and other android phones. it
>won't be available for a lot of android phones including ones still
>being sold new, today.

Assuming you're right that 2.2 is available for the Nexus One, then
it's obviously not vaporware.

The yes/no dividing line between vapor or not is availability to end
users, whoever they may be. Limited availability versus widespread
availability, small numbers versus large numbers, announcements versus
no announcements, rumors versus no rumors, all of those have nothing
to do with it.

--
Paul Miner
From: nospam on
In article <ai8tv5lluofgcvi4r9jjfiql1r7n6rlh52(a)4ax.com>, Paul Miner
<pminer(a)elrancho.invalid> wrote:

> Assuming you're right that 2.2 is available for the Nexus One, then
> it's obviously not vaporware.

it's not vaporware only to a tiny subset of android users.

> The yes/no dividing line between vapor or not is availability to end
> users, whoever they may be. Limited availability versus widespread
> availability, small numbers versus large numbers, announcements versus
> no announcements, rumors versus no rumors, all of those have nothing
> to do with it.

define it any way you want, the fact remains that android 2.2 is only
available for one model phone that didn't sell very well and by manual
installation.

as far as most people are concerned, 2.2 is not available yet, not even
to google i/o attendees with their htc evo!

in any event this entire conversation is moot in a couple of weeks when
iphone os 4 ships to everyone, none of this 'soon' on the droid or 'end
of the year' with htc products.
From: Justin on
nospam wrote on [Thu, 27 May 2010 08:56:48 -0700]:
> In article <htm15p$i1d$3(a)news.eternal-september.org>, Justin
> <nospam(a)insightbb.com> wrote:
>
>> Of course, 3-10% is far from very very few.
>> Very very few is under 1%
>
> it's not enough to bother, especially when most of them will probably
> want to upgrade anyway, whether or not it was supported.
>
>> But, since APple is famous for orphaning products that are only a couple
>> of years old, it's not unexpected.
>
> but it's perfectly ok for google to orphan the t-mobile g1, a phone
> that's just 18 months old and *still being sold* today, or for htc to
> orphan anything sold prior to 2010, less than six months ago.

They are not mutually exclusive items. They are both wrong.
From: Justin on
nospam wrote on [Thu, 27 May 2010 08:56:35 -0700]:
> In article <htm1dg$i1d$4(a)news.eternal-september.org>, Justin
> <nospam(a)insightbb.com> wrote:
>
>> > 30-40% is not what i'd call 'ubiquitous'.
>>
>> Is that weighted by popularity if the sites? There are millions of small
>> flat sites out there that are blogs etc. that skew those numbers.
>
> it doesn't skew the numbers. if there are millions of small sites
> without flash, they count too. what makes you think an iphone user
> won't visit any of them?

Who cares if an iDevice user that can't run flash wants to visit them.
That doesn't matter. What matters are all the sites that they can't
use properly due to no Flash support. The number of sites that run Flash
is irrelevant, it's the number of popular sites that matters.

>> I don't want native app games, I want the flash games that will never
>> be ported to native apps.
>
> such as? and how do you know they won't ever be ported? and what makes

Visit a lot of the flash game sites, there are thousands of these games
out there

>> I want to be able to use restaurant websites that are flash based
>> Hint: That's a lot of sites.
>
> actually it isn't, and the number is dropping.

Prove it? I don't see that at all

>> > that not everyone wants flash.
>>
>> Or people use those blockers to block the unwanted flash
>
> if people block it, they don't want it.

They don't want certain flash.

>> > because having to toggle flash on/off all the time is a royal pain.
>>
>> No, it's not. The Firefox flashblock extension shows a little play button
>> where the flash is embedded, when you want to run that item just hit play
>
> that's not part of flash. that's yet *another* piece.

Yes, a browser piece, it's pretty damn simple. Just like browing with images turned off in the 90s
From: Justin on
nospam wrote on [Thu, 27 May 2010 08:56:45 -0700]:
> In article <htm118$i1d$2(a)news.eternal-september.org>, Justin
> <nospam(a)insightbb.com> wrote:
>
>> > right. android 2.2 is going to be vapor for a lot longer and for a lot
>> > more users than iphone os 4.
>>
>> 2.2 has been released to end users, it's not vaporware. I know it's hard
>> to understand simple concepts like that, but it's a fact.
>
> except, it isn't a fact.
>
> the simple concept, is that so far, it's only available for the nexus
> one, a phone that sold in very small numbers, and that's via manual
> update. it's not available yet for the motorola droid, htc evo (the

Yet, it's available. What a hard concept to understand

> As I said at the beginning, Android 2.2 will be here soon, and some
> devices will get the update in the coming weeks.

And some have it, so IT IS RELEASED TO CONSUMERS
I know, it's hard to wrap your mind around this FACT.

> developer sdk (sounds familiar), 'soon' and 'coming weeks' = not
> released yet.

Huh, I have the developer SDK already, so soon is long past