From: Justin on
nospam wrote on [Thu, 27 May 2010 10:47:30 -0700]:
> In article <htm9bf$33b$1(a)news.eternal-september.org>, Justin
> <nospam(a)insightbb.com> wrote:
>
>> > but it's perfectly ok for google to orphan the t-mobile g1, a phone
>> > that's just 18 months old and *still being sold* today, or for htc to
>> > orphan anything sold prior to 2010, less than six months ago.
>>
>> They are not mutually exclusive items. They are both wrong.
>
> neither is wrong.

Perhaps your reading comprehension is faulty.

From: Thomas T. Veldhouse on
In alt.cellular.verizon nospam <nospam(a)nospam.invalid> wrote:
> In article <htm1dg$i1d$4(a)news.eternal-september.org>, Justin
> <nospam(a)insightbb.com> wrote:
>
>> > 30-40% is not what i'd call 'ubiquitous'.
>>
>> Is that weighted by popularity if the sites? There are millions of small
>> flat sites out there that are blogs etc. that skew those numbers.
>
> it doesn't skew the numbers. if there are millions of small sites
> without flash, they count too. what makes you think an iphone user
> won't visit any of them?

What matters is what percentage of hits are hits to pages that contain Flash.
I think that was the point.

--
Thomas T. Veldhouse

Religion is a crutch, but that's okay... humanity is a cripple.
From: John Navas on
On 27 May 2010 15:44:08 GMT, "Thomas T. Veldhouse" <veldy71(a)gmail.com>
wrote in <867ia8F119U2(a)mid.individual.net>:

>In alt.cellular.attws nospam <nospam(a)nospam.invalid> wrote:
>>
>> speaking of which, there's no flash on windows phone 7 either.
>> microsoft has their own clone called silverlight, even more proprietary
>> than what adobe is doing. where's the bitching about that?
>
>FYI ... Silverlight is DEFINITELY NO CLONE of Flash in either function or
>implementation.

Indeed, quite impressive technology.

--
Best regards,
John

If the iPhone is really so impressive,
why do iFans keep making excuses for it?
From: Justin on
nospam wrote on [Thu, 27 May 2010 10:47:37 -0700]:
> In article <htm9p0$33b$3(a)news.eternal-september.org>, Justin
> <nospam(a)insightbb.com> wrote:
>
>> > the simple concept, is that so far, it's only available for the nexus
>> > one, a phone that sold in very small numbers, and that's via manual
>> > update. it's not available yet for the motorola droid, htc evo (the
>>
>> Yet, it's available. What a hard concept to understand
>
> to nexus one owners.

See, it's released and therefore not vapour.

>> > As I said at the beginning, Android 2.2 will be here soon, and some
>> > devices will get the update in the coming weeks.
>>
>> And some have it, so IT IS RELEASED TO CONSUMERS
>> I know, it's hard to wrap your mind around this FACT.
>
> it has not been released to consumers who bought phones *other* than
> the nexus one and it may never be, depending on the phone and the

And that doesn't matter, catch up already

>> > developer sdk (sounds familiar), 'soon' and 'coming weeks' = not
>> > released yet.
>>
>> Huh, I have the developer SDK already, so soon is long past
>
> soon is for the end user release. do keep up.

Not the way you phrased it.
From: nospam on
In article <htmcuq$sgc$2(a)news.eternal-september.org>, Justin
<nospam(a)insightbb.com> wrote:

> >> Who cares if an iDevice user that can't run flash wants to visit them.
> >
> > web site owners will want their site to be usable by 100 million users
> > who represent over 2/3rds of mobile web traffic. in other words, the
> > majority of mobile users *don't* have flash.
>
> The majority of users aren't using mobile browsers, either

they are on mobile devices, which is where the flash issue exists.

> >> That doesn't matter. What matters are all the sites that they can't
> >> use properly due to no Flash support. The number of sites that run Flash
> >> is irrelevant, it's the number of popular sites that matters.
> >
> > again, it's not that many sites and a lot work without needing flash,
> > including youtube.
>
> Flash is more than just video.

i never said otherwise. do keep up.

> > more and more web sites announce html5 support. that means they'll work
> > on the iphone, no flash needed.
>
> Just because something supports html5 it doesn't mean it doesn't have Flash
> components. The two are not mutually exclusive.

all that matters is that it works on an iphone. both can coexist.