From: Kimmy Boyer on
On Wed, 26 May 2010 19:28:41 -0700, John Navas wrote:

> Roger that. Sorry if I came across as rude.

I'll slap your fukken face if you do that again!
--
http://www.facebook.com/john.ziolkowski
2205 Noble Ct. Naples, FL 34110-1023
From: Justin on
Thomas T. Veldhouse wrote on [26 May 2010 21:35:57 GMT]:
> In alt.cellular.verizon John Navas <jnspam1(a)navasgroup.com> wrote:
>>
>> Until it ships to end users it most certainly *is* vaporware.
>
> Since it exists and is not simply an idea in the vapor, I respectfully
> disagree. If you want to claim victory; it really doesn't matter to me as the
> issue, as I said is one of semantics. The real issue is comparing the correct
> software platforms.

Duke Nukem Forever has been demoed plenty of times, yet it is famous vaporware

From: Justin on
nospam wrote on [Wed, 26 May 2010 14:41:42 -0700]:
> In article <865ingF4vaU3(a)mid.individual.net>, Thomas T. Veldhouse
> <veldy71(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I am sure he can argue semantics and warp it to his desired result.
>
> that's what he does.
>
>> The
>> simple facts are that android 2.2 will be compared to Apple OS 4.0
>> (iPhone,iPod,iPad). Vaporware be damned.
>
> right. android 2.2 is going to be vapor for a lot longer and for a lot
> more users than iphone os 4.

2.2 has been released to end users, it's not vaporware. I know it's hard
to understand simple concepts like that, but it's a fact.

From: Justin on
Paul Miner wrote on [Wed, 26 May 2010 19:46:50 -0500]:
> On Wed, 26 May 2010 15:02:43 -0700, nospam <nospam(a)nospam.invalid>
> wrote:

>>> Hence, my question. What happened to them? Why are "very, very few"
>>> still in use after 3 years? Are they that fragile, or is it something
>>> else?
>>
>>not that many were sold. 6 million original iphones, out of 50 million
>>total iphones sold to date (early april numbers). apple doesn't give
>>breakdowns for ipods, but they did say 35 million ipod touches sold to
>>date. given that ratio, it's reasonable to conclude that there are
>>about 4 million ipod touch 1st gens.
>>
>>thus, there are about 10 million sold, out of roughly 100 million
>>devices by the time iphone os 4 actually ships, based on current sales
>>rates. thus, at *best*, only 10% are orphaned. that's not a large
>>amount, and far less than will be orphaned by android 2.2, including
>>some phones that are *still being sold*.
>>
>>however, not all of those old units are still in use. some have been
>>damaged, some lost, etc. some of the iphones are used as ipods, not
>>phones. one of the mobile analytics companies shows that about 2
>>million of original iphones are still in use, showing up on their logs.
>>that's about 1/3rd of what was sold. that's actually on the high side
>>for a 3 year old phone, and one which did not have 3g. most of the
>>users have upgraded to something else, whether it's an iphone or
>>another device.
>>
>>so it's not bad at all.
>
> Thanks for the explanation. I find it interesting that your estimates
> of device population range from a low of 3-4% to 10% to 20%. That's
> quite a range, so surely you've covered yourself adequately.

Of course, 3-10% is far from very very few.
Very very few is under 1%

But, since APple is famous for orphaning products that are only a couple
of years old, it's not unexpected.
From: Justin on
nospam wrote on [Wed, 26 May 2010 15:22:28 -0700]:

>> >flash is not as widespread as people think
>>
>> That's an unsupportable statement.
>
> <http://www.flashmagazine.com/news/detail/how_many_sites_use_flash/>
>
> Surveying more than 3.5 million pages, the Opera (browser) developer
> center found that somewhere between 30% and 40% of all pages tested
> contained Flash files.
>
> 30-40% is not what i'd call 'ubiquitous'.

Is that weighted by popularity if the sites? There are millions of small
flat sites out there that are blogs etc. that skew those numbers.

> most of what users want flash for work quite well on an iphone. youtube
> videos automatically stream h.264 with no extra work from the user.
> vimeo and other sites support h.264. native app games are readily
> available and work better than the flash versions.

I don't want native app games, I want the flash games that will never
be ported to native apps.
I want to be able to use restaurant websites that are flash based
Hint: That's a lot of sites.

>> And many more than "a lot" don't. What's your point?
>
> that not everyone wants flash.

Or people use those blockers to block the unwanted flash

> because having to toggle flash on/off all the time is a royal pain.

No, it's not. The Firefox flashblock extension shows a little play button
where the flash is embedded, when you want to run that item just hit play

not hard