From: Jeff Liebermann on
On Mon, 31 May 2010 15:21:08 -0700, nospam <nospam(a)nospam.invalid>
wrote:

>In article <kk9806lb0pqmfkh6a3brvhfmf94js0inje(a)4ax.com>, Jeff
>Liebermann <jeffl(a)cruzio.com> wrote:
>
>> Incidentally, I got a bit of a surprise when I plugged a 3 button PC
>> mouse into my antique Mac Cube running OS/X 10.4.xx. The right button
>> worked as expected (show options) as did the roller (scroll up/down).
>> This was a pleasant surprise after living with only one button for so
>> long. I know the new Apple Magic Mouse will act as a two button mouse
>> bit it's still nice to have the mouse act the same in both OS/X and
>> Windoze.

>multiple buttons have been supported by mac os since the early 1990s,
>and contextual menus since the late 1980s. with usb, it's a non-issue.

Ok, so why duz Apple continue to ship one button mice and laptops with
one button touchpads? Here's one theory:
<http://www.gearlive.com/index.php/news/article/why-apple-makes-a-one-buttoned-mouse-01280820/>

I've lost count of how many times some great idea gets shot down by
"The users don't need that feature. It will only confuse them". Of
course there's no consideration to the discovery that they're already
confused.

--
Jeff Liebermann jeffl(a)cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
From: nospam on
In article <j9h806psss6da5ltdgu40r4v8g309e1rm6(a)4ax.com>, Jeff
Liebermann <jeffl(a)cruzio.com> wrote:

> >multiple buttons have been supported by mac os since the early 1990s,
> >and contextual menus since the late 1980s. with usb, it's a non-issue.
>
> Ok, so why duz Apple continue to ship one button mice and laptops with
> one button touchpads?

they ship multi-button mice and trackpads, although they can be
considered zero button. :)

the mighty mouse (now called apple mouse) has four buttons and the
magic mouse has two and a touchpad with gestures. the laptop trackpads
are multitouch and you can set up an area for secondary click, or just
use the control key with *any* mouse (and that goes back for over a
decade, maybe even two). some apps used to use the command key to get a
contextual menu, long, long ago.

> Here's one theory:
>
> <http://www.gearlive.com/index.php/news/article/why-apple-makes-a-one-buttoned-
> mouse-01280820/>
>
> I've lost count of how many times some great idea gets shot down by
> "The users don't need that feature. It will only confuse them". Of
> course there's no consideration to the discovery that they're already
> confused.

most people (not geeks) find multi-button mice confusing. even when
multi-button mice were available in the 90s, few people bothered.

plus, how many buttons are best? some like two, some want a wheel and
others hate the wheel. some want 4-5 buttons or even more. apple ships
a functional mouse and the user can decide to replace it if they want.

mac os has always been designed around one button. there is no need for
a second (or third) button as there is with other operating systems.
it's a convenience (sometimes).
From: Jeff Liebermann on
On Mon, 31 May 2010 16:03:35 -0700, Michelle Steiner
<michelle(a)michelle.org> wrote:

>In article <vcc806t930tja7voe9mft17v4ssitudool(a)4ax.com>,
> Jeff Liebermann <jeffl(a)cruzio.com> wrote:
>
>> I'm nosey. Just how much does your purse or handbag currently weigh
>> loaded (without the iPad)?
>
>2 pounds, or about 0.91 kilos.

Ok, I see the problem. Adding 0.72kg of iPad to your 0.91kg purse is
going to be a substantial increase. It also means you probably don't
want to swing the purse around as a weapon. I don't know what to
recommend. Perhaps a larger purse, the shoulder holster, or a
backpack?

From: Jolly Roger on
In article <michelle-22EB60.17265131052010(a)news.eternal-september.org>,
Michelle Steiner <michelle(a)michelle.org> wrote:

> > > it's exactly correct. an iphone can only tether if it's jailbroken,
> >
> > Which means it CAN tether. You said it, not me. Stop trying to argue
> > about it. You said "the iphone does not tether with at&t". That's
> > incorrect.
>
> How about you both agree to "The iPhone does not tether with AT&T unless it
> is jailbroken. This is subject to change without advance notice."?

I'm down with that.

JR
From: Jolly Roger on
In article <j9h806psss6da5ltdgu40r4v8g309e1rm6(a)4ax.com>,
Jeff Liebermann <jeffl(a)cruzio.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 31 May 2010 15:21:08 -0700, nospam <nospam(a)nospam.invalid>
> wrote:
>
> >In article <kk9806lb0pqmfkh6a3brvhfmf94js0inje(a)4ax.com>, Jeff
> >Liebermann <jeffl(a)cruzio.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Incidentally, I got a bit of a surprise when I plugged a 3 button PC
> >> mouse into my antique Mac Cube running OS/X 10.4.xx. The right button
> >> worked as expected (show options) as did the roller (scroll up/down).
> >> This was a pleasant surprise after living with only one button for so
> >> long. I know the new Apple Magic Mouse will act as a two button mouse
> >> bit it's still nice to have the mouse act the same in both OS/X and
> >> Windoze.
>
> >multiple buttons have been supported by mac os since the early 1990s,
> >and contextual menus since the late 1980s. with usb, it's a non-issue.
>
> Ok, so why duz Apple continue to ship one button mice and laptops with
> one button touchpads? Here's one theory:
> <http://www.gearlive.com/index.php/news/article/why-apple-makes-a-one-buttoned
> -mouse-01280820/>
>
> I've lost count of how many times some great idea gets shot down by
> "The users don't need that feature. It will only confuse them". Of
> course there's no consideration to the discovery that they're already
> confused.

Apple hasn't shipped a single-button mouse for a long time. And Mac OS
has supported right-click functionality for ages.

JR