From: Jolly Roger on
In article <310520101611441293%nospam(a)nospam.invalid>,
nospam <nospam(a)nospam.invalid> wrote:

> > > it's exactly correct. an iphone can only tether if it's jailbroken,
> >
> > Which means it CAN tether. You said it, not me. Stop trying to argue
> > about it. You said "the iphone does not tether with at&t". That's
> > incorrect.
>
> i'm not the one who is arguing. the iphone *can't* tether to at&t
> unless it's jailbroken, and if you include hacks, the iphone can do
> quite a bit more, including folders, third party apps that run in the
> background and even android.
>
> it's ludicrous to claim the iphone can tether to at&t, when a hack and
> tos violation is required to do so.

No, it's a simple fact that it is possible.

If you had mentioned jail breaking or TOS in your initial statement "the
iphone does not tether with at&t", perhaps we wouldn't be having this
discussion. But you claimed it could not be done, which is incorrect.

> > > big if. many people upgraded and were screwed. those who needed an
> > > unlock could no longer use their iphone *at all*. some were stuck on
> > > the activation screen so they couldn't even use it as an ipod or mobile
> > > internet device. a brick, in other words.
> >
> > A smart person would have restored their phone before upgrading.
>
> actually, that would have been a big mistake. restoring a new firmware
> without the proper precautions could potentially brick it.

I'm talking about restoring *with* the proper precautions. Nice try,
though.

JR
From: nospam on
In article <jollyroger-EE6216.20105731052010(a)news.individual.net>,
Jolly Roger <jollyroger(a)pobox.com> wrote:

> > How about you both agree to "The iPhone does not tether with AT&T unless it
> > is jailbroken. This is subject to change without advance notice."?
>
> I'm down with that.

me too.
From: nospam on
In article <jollyroger-3AE753.20163831052010(a)news.individual.net>,
Jolly Roger <jollyroger(a)pobox.com> wrote:

> If you had mentioned jail breaking or TOS in your initial statement "the
> iphone does not tether with at&t", perhaps we wouldn't be having this
> discussion. But you claimed it could not be done, which is incorrect.

the vast majority of iphone users do not jailbreak. claiming that
someone can tether to at&t when most users can't is misleading.

> > > A smart person would have restored their phone before upgrading.
> >
> > actually, that would have been a big mistake. restoring a new firmware
> > without the proper precautions could potentially brick it.
>
> I'm talking about restoring *with* the proper precautions. Nice try,
> though.

you did not say 'with the proper precautions.'
From: Jolly Roger on
In article <310520101825453782%nospam(a)nospam.invalid>,
nospam <nospam(a)nospam.invalid> wrote:

> In article <jollyroger-3AE753.20163831052010(a)news.individual.net>,
> Jolly Roger <jollyroger(a)pobox.com> wrote:
>
> > If you had mentioned jail breaking or TOS in your initial statement "the
> > iphone does not tether with at&t", perhaps we wouldn't be having this
> > discussion. But you claimed it could not be done, which is incorrect.
>
> the vast majority of iphone users do not jailbreak. claiming that
> someone can tether to at&t when most users can't is misleading.

Any user can jail break if they wish. It's a simply app download and
button click away.

> > > actually, that would have been a big mistake. restoring a new firmware
> > > without the proper precautions could potentially brick it.
> >
> > I'm talking about restoring *with* the proper precautions. Nice try,
> > though.
>
> you did not say 'with the proper precautions.'

Just like you did not say "without jail breaking and violating a TOS".

Ready to stop bickering yet?

JR
From: nospam on
In article <michelle-809F44.18393931052010(a)news.eternal-september.org>,
Michelle Steiner <michelle(a)michelle.org> wrote:

> And claiming unilaterally that it can't tether with AT&T when it can is
> even more misleading.

not when 90% of iphone users don't jailbreak it isn't.

it can only tether to at&t *if* you jailbreak *and* you install the
configuration, and *if* the jailbreak method enables it (not all do, by
the way).