From: Your Name on
In article <michelle-FA0D59.15112831052010(a)news.eternal-september.org>,
Michelle Steiner <michelle(a)michelle.org> wrote:

> In article <kk9806lb0pqmfkh6a3brvhfmf94js0inje(a)4ax.com>,
> Jeff Liebermann <jeffl(a)cruzio.com> wrote:
>
> > Incidentally, I got a bit of a surprise when I plugged a 3 button PC
> > mouse into my antique Mac Cube running OS/X 10.4.xx. The right button
> > worked as expected (show options) as did the roller (scroll up/down).
> > This was a pleasant surprise after living with only one button for so
> > long.
>
> Mac OS X has always supported two-button mice. Some earlier versions of
> Mac OS also supported them as well.

Any Mac could probably support a two / multi-button mouse if the company
selling the device wanted to write driver software ... but the point is
that the Mac doesn't need a two button mouse. Personally I very rarely had
any need for more than one button.
From: Your Name on

<http://www.gearlive.com/index.php/news/article/why-apple-makes-a-one-buttoned-mouse-01280820/>

> I've lost count of how many times some great idea gets shot down by
> "The users don't need that feature. It will only confuse them". Of
> course there's no consideration to the discovery that they're already
> confused.

Apple started shipping a multi-button mouse with the Mighty Mouse and now
the Magic Mouse ... but the Mac doesn't actually NEED a multi-button
mouse, unlike Windows where some functions can only be accessed via
contextual menus.
From: Your Name on
In article <310520101651093201%nospam(a)nospam.invalid>, nospam
<nospam(a)nospam.invalid> wrote:

> In article <j9h806psss6da5ltdgu40r4v8g309e1rm6(a)4ax.com>, Jeff
> Liebermann <jeffl(a)cruzio.com> wrote:
>
> > >multiple buttons have been supported by mac os since the early 1990s,
> > >and contextual menus since the late 1980s. with usb, it's a non-issue.
> >
> > Ok, so why duz Apple continue to ship one button mice and laptops with
> > one button touchpads?
>
> they ship multi-button mice and trackpads, although they can be
> considered zero button. :)
>
> the mighty mouse (now called apple mouse) has four buttons and the
> magic mouse has two and a touchpad with gestures. the laptop trackpads
> are multitouch and you can set up an area for secondary click, or just
> use the control key with *any* mouse (and that goes back for over a
> decade, maybe even two). some apps used to use the command key to get a
> contextual menu, long, long ago.
>
> > Here's one theory:

<http://www.gearlive.com/index.php/news/article/why-apple-makes-a-one-buttoned-
> > mouse-01280820/>
> >
> > I've lost count of how many times some great idea gets shot down by
> > "The users don't need that feature. It will only confuse them". Of
> > course there's no consideration to the discovery that they're already
> > confused.
>
> most people (not geeks) find multi-button mice confusing. even when
> multi-button mice were available in the 90s, few people bothered.
>
> plus, how many buttons are best? some like two, some want a wheel and
> others hate the wheel. some want 4-5 buttons or even more. apple ships
> a functional mouse and the user can decide to replace it if they want.
>
> mac os has always been designed around one button. there is no need for
> a second (or third) button as there is with other operating systems.
> it's a convenience (sometimes).

Not only that, but the multi-button mice can be {beep}ingly annoying. The
first thing I do when setting up any new Mac is turn off the extra
buttons. Personally I find the "squeeze" button of the Mighty Mouse
especially annoying, continually "going off" when I don't want it to just
because I'm moviing the mouse around.
From: nospam on
In article
<your.name-0106101357580001(a)203-109-168-122.dial.dyn.ihug.co.nz>, Your
Name <your.name(a)isp.com> wrote:

> Any Mac could probably support a two / multi-button mouse if the company
> selling the device wanted to write driver software ... but the point is
> that the Mac doesn't need a two button mouse. Personally I very rarely had
> any need for more than one button.

no drivers are needed with any usb standard mouse.

it's the mice with zillions of buttons that require a driver, and there
are at least two third party mac drivers already (not from any mouse
maker), which support pretty much anything that exists, including all
sorts of custom functions that even the manufacturers don't offer.
From: Your Name on
In article <michelle-2B2433.17211631052010(a)news.eternal-september.org>,
Michelle Steiner <michelle(a)michelle.org> wrote:

> In article <j9h806psss6da5ltdgu40r4v8g309e1rm6(a)4ax.com>,
> Jeff Liebermann <jeffl(a)cruzio.com> wrote:
>
> > Ok, so why duz Apple continue to ship one button mice and laptops with
> > one button touchpads?
>
> Apple hasn't shipped a one-button mouse five years.
>
> Apple's touch pad doesn't have any buttons; the touch pad itself acts as a
> button. One finger for the left button; two fingers for the right. For
> that matter, it can sense up to five fingers.

Like the Apple mice, the trackpad does have REAL buttons, they simply
aren't visible ones. The bottom of the trackpad has at leat one cliackable
button (I haven't checked to see if there are two separate ones or perhaps
a left-right rocker switch).