From: nospam on
In article <kk9806lb0pqmfkh6a3brvhfmf94js0inje(a)4ax.com>, Jeff
Liebermann <jeffl(a)cruzio.com> wrote:

> Incidentally, I got a bit of a surprise when I plugged a 3 button PC
> mouse into my antique Mac Cube running OS/X 10.4.xx. The right button
> worked as expected (show options) as did the roller (scroll up/down).
> This was a pleasant surprise after living with only one button for so
> long. I know the new Apple Magic Mouse will act as a two button mouse
> bit it's still nice to have the mouse act the same in both OS/X and
> Windoze.

multiple buttons have been supported by mac os since the early 1990s,
and contextual menus since the late 1980s. with usb, it's a non-issue.
From: Jolly Roger on
In article <310520101519313314%nospam(a)nospam.invalid>,
nospam <nospam(a)nospam.invalid> wrote:

> In article <jollyroger-F631C9.15312031052010(a)news.individual.net>,
> Jolly Roger <jollyroger(a)pobox.com> wrote:
>
> > You said "the iphone does not tether with at&t". That's incorrect.
>
> it's exactly correct

Nope. It's incorrect, because the iPhone DOES tether.

> it's only possible if you hack the phone, void the warranty and violate
> the terms of service.

It may not tether the way you seem to think is best, but it absolutely
DOES tether. I just did it yesterday, and it works fine.

I'm not going to argue any more about this with you. Feel free to have
the last word.

> you also may not be able to upgrade firmware, as many people found out
> the hard way and ended up with a non-functional iphone. others were
> more fortunate and just lost the ability to tether when they upgraded.

If you know what you are doing you can upgrade just fine without issue.

> furthermore, at&t tethering is rumoured to be *new* in iphone os 4.0:
>
> <http://www.macrumors.com/2010/05/18/internet-tethering-for-atandt-custo
> mers-to-finally-arrive-with-iphone-os-4-0/>

I care not, because I am already able to tether today. And I don't have
to pay extra to do it, as I suspect you will once it's included and
officially supported in iPhone 4.0.

> > > that's nice. do you just abide by whatever agreements you feel like?
> >
> > Most of us do, yep.
>
> no, most people do not ignore agreements they make.

I don't care. To me, it's my data and I will use it how I wish. AT&T can
suck it if they don't like it.

JR
From: nospam on
In article <jollyroger-CA82C8.17322231052010(a)news.individual.net>,
Jolly Roger <jollyroger(a)pobox.com> wrote:

> > > You said "the iphone does not tether with at&t". That's incorrect.
> >
> > it's exactly correct
>
> Nope. It's incorrect, because the iPhone DOES tether.

it's exactly correct. an iphone can only tether if it's jailbroken,
something 90% of iphone users do not do, and an appropriate
configuration file loaded, something even fewer people do.

so yes it can tether if you hack it, but that's not something that is
normally considered a feature of the phone.

the iphone can even be hacked to run android. are you now going to
claim it's a universal phone?

> > you also may not be able to upgrade firmware, as many people found out
> > the hard way and ended up with a non-functional iphone. others were
> > more fortunate and just lost the ability to tether when they upgraded.
>
> If you know what you are doing you can upgrade just fine without issue.

big if. many people upgraded and were screwed. those who needed an
unlock could no longer use their iphone *at all*. some were stuck on
the activation screen so they couldn't even use it as an ipod or mobile
internet device. a brick, in other words.

> > > Most of us do, yep.
> >
> > no, most people do not ignore agreements they make.
>
> I don't care. To me, it's my data and I will use it how I wish. AT&T can
> suck it if they don't like it.

charming.
From: Jolly Roger on
In article <310520101548197012%nospam(a)nospam.invalid>,
nospam <nospam(a)nospam.invalid> wrote:

> > > it's exactly correct
> >
> > Nope. It's incorrect, because the iPhone DOES tether.
>
> it's exactly correct. an iphone can only tether if it's jailbroken,

Which means it CAN tether. You said it, not me. Stop trying to argue
about it. You said "the iphone does not tether with at&t". That's
incorrect.

> > If you know what you are doing you can upgrade just fine without issue.
>
> big if. many people upgraded and were screwed. those who needed an
> unlock could no longer use their iphone *at all*. some were stuck on
> the activation screen so they couldn't even use it as an ipod or mobile
> internet device. a brick, in other words.

A smart person would have restored their phone before upgrading.

> > > no, most people do not ignore agreements they make.
> >
> > I don't care. To me, it's my data and I will use it how I wish. AT&T can
> > suck it if they don't like it.
>
> charming.

Deal with it.

JR
From: nospam on
In article <jollyroger-A1D0D9.18005131052010(a)news.individual.net>,

> > > Nope. It's incorrect, because the iPhone DOES tether.
> >
> > it's exactly correct. an iphone can only tether if it's jailbroken,
>
> Which means it CAN tether. You said it, not me. Stop trying to argue
> about it. You said "the iphone does not tether with at&t". That's
> incorrect.

i'm not the one who is arguing. the iphone *can't* tether to at&t
unless it's jailbroken, and if you include hacks, the iphone can do
quite a bit more, including folders, third party apps that run in the
background and even android.

it's ludicrous to claim the iphone can tether to at&t, when a hack and
tos violation is required to do so. the vast majority of users do not
jailbreak, which means no at&t tethering. period.

> > > If you know what you are doing you can upgrade just fine without issue.
> >
> > big if. many people upgraded and were screwed. those who needed an
> > unlock could no longer use their iphone *at all*. some were stuck on
> > the activation screen so they couldn't even use it as an ipod or mobile
> > internet device. a brick, in other words.
>
> A smart person would have restored their phone before upgrading.

actually, that would have been a big mistake. restoring a new firmware
without the proper precautions could potentially brick it.