From: nospam on
In article <jollyroger-207BF7.14045831052010(a)news.individual.net>,
Jolly Roger <jollyroger(a)pobox.com> wrote:

> > > Actually I just tethered my iPad to my iPhone yesterday, and I am on
> > > AT&T. It absolutely does tether.
> >
> > then you hacked it and are in violation of at&t's terms of service.
>
> I jail broke it, sure, but it was as easy as clicking a button.

it may be easy, but the iphone can't tether to at&t unless you do, and
only with certain firmwares and appropriate configuration file. most
people don't jailbreak either. the fact remains that tethering with
at&t is not supported.

> I couldn't care less about AT&T's terms of service, to be honest.

that's nice. do you just abide by whatever agreements you feel like?

> I don't
> use tethering all that often to begin with, and data is data so it
> should be an option, IMO. Plus AT&T falsely advertised that tethering
> would be available long ago and has long since missed that date.

so you admit there is no tethering with at&t, and yes, they're
incompetent buffoons.

the sooner the iphone goes multi-carrier, the better. one survey even
claims as many as 40% of at&t iphone users might jump ship (6 million
subscribers). that seems high, but if even half that switch, not to
mention a huge drop in new subscribers to at&t, they're going to be
hurting, big time.

<http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2010/05/25/6-million-to-flee-att-for-verizo
n-iphone/>

the funny thing is, once the iphone is available on verizon, sprint
and/or t-mobile, and *they* offer tethering, at&t will somehow figure
out how to enable it for the iphone. then again, if 6 million users
jump ship, all that capacity can handle the extra load for tethering.
From: Kimmy Boyer on
On Mon, 31 May 2010 10:40:34 -0700, nospam wrote:

> mobile devices *will* be the future, whether it's an ipad or something
> else.

Not until outdoor theaters come back will car balling be socially
acceptable.
--
http://tr.im/3ifq
5/31/2010 3:38:20 PM
From: Jolly Roger on
In article <310520101229542685%nospam(a)nospam.invalid>,
nospam <nospam(a)nospam.invalid> wrote:

> > > then you hacked it and are in violation of at&t's terms of service.
> >
> > I jail broke it, sure, but it was as easy as clicking a button.
>
> it may be easy, but the iphone can't tether to at&t unless you do, and
> only with certain firmwares and appropriate configuration file. most
> people don't jailbreak either. the fact remains that tethering with
> at&t is not supported.

You said "the iphone does not tether with at&t". That's incorrect.

> > I couldn't care less about AT&T's terms of service, to be honest.
>
> that's nice. do you just abide by whatever agreements you feel like?

Most of us do, yep.

> > I don't
> > use tethering all that often to begin with, and data is data so it
> > should be an option, IMO. Plus AT&T falsely advertised that tethering
> > would be available long ago and has long since missed that date.
>
> so you admit there is no tethering with at&t, and yes, they're
> incompetent buffoons.

Like you said, it's not supported, but that obviously doesn't mean you
can't do it.

JR
From: Thomas R. Kettler on
In article <michelle-D47B08.11394531052010(a)news.eternal-september.org>,
Michelle Steiner <michelle(a)michelle.org> wrote:

> And very few people know about the mouse to begin with. We had a display
> that introduced the Mac; I can't tell you how many people picked up the
> mouse, turned it over, and tried to use it as a trackball, even though the
> monitor showed them how to use a mouse.

Did you see anyone try to use it as a foot treadle? I remember reading
that one but always wondered if it was just an urban myth.
--
Remove blown from email address to reply.
From: Your Name on

"nospam" <nospam(a)nospam.invalid> wrote in message
> In article <michelle-1D7EDD.19233930052010(a)news.eternal-september.org>,
> Michelle Steiner <michelle(a)michelle.org> wrote:
>
> > > it reminds me of when windows first came out and dos users said a gui
> > > was silly, it's a toy, you can't do real work in a gui, real computer
> > > users need a command line, i can write a super cool batch file to do
> > > what takes you hours of mousing and clicking, blah blah blah. now
those
> > > same people use mac and windows and would never touch dos.
> >
> > I had an instructor in 1988 who was dissing the Mac's trashcan as being
> > stupid because people should know how to spell "delete".
>
> i remember people asking me how many columns the original mac screen
> had. i said there were no columns, the number of characters per line
> varied because almost all fonts were proportional. it all depends what
> letters and fonts were used, and what sizes.
>
> quite a few people (mainly geeks) did not understand why that was a
> huge step forward or what it meant for users. i even had to explain
> what fonts were to a few people.
>
> if it wasn't 80x24 or 132x24 of a fixed size amber or green letters, it
> was a toy and they weren't interested.
>
> some people just don't get it.

I remember a computer science University lecturer saying something about
multi-tasking wasn't possible on a home / small computer ... and most of the
class groaned since the Amiga had been doing it for at about a year by then.
In fact, most of my computer science classes were like that, way behind the
times with many of the students knowing more than the lectrueres. :-\

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26
Prev: Linksys 54G wireless Problem
Next: Newsgroups demise